Monday, December 3, 2012

how to have ffmpeg command line on mac without recompiling

I keep liking the shell for some things that I struggle to obtain via a gui
so I found myself struggling with ffmpegX which is a super nice piece of software that facilitates the standard use of ffmpeg with his wonderful gui, but prevents me from doing things I was used to with the plain cmd line.
It turns out that there is a pre-built binary in the FFmpegX package (thanks guys) Here's how you get it:
  1. Download and extract the FFmpegX package from here
  2. Control-Click the FFmpegX app, "show package contents", Go to "Resources" folder
  3. Copy the ffmpeg executable (and all that you need) to /usr/local/bin 
  4. for each executable you copy repeat the following (substituting ffmpeg with the proper exe):
    1. sudo chown root:wheel /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg 
    2. sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
    3. From a terminal type ffmpeg
give feedback if it works 
ciao alex barchiesi

No comments:

Post a Comment